Simple royal icing recipe ANYONE can master!
I get it, royal icing can be super intimidating. But I assure you, if I can do it with a zip lock baggie, then so can you.
This recipe is super simple, doesn’t require any fancy ingredients or tools, and I truly believe anyone can master it.
My husband even told me, “I’ll give you the frosting, you do have really good frosting.” And my people, that means a lot, because in the kitchen, I pretty much stink at mastering recipes! It will blow you away when you dominate this recipe! I gotchu girl!
Simple Royal Icing
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 tablespoons milk (your choice)
- 2 1/2 tsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (can sub vanilla, but it will make icing less “white”)
- Zip Lock Bag
- Combine sugar, milk, corn syrup and almond extract to stand mixer, beat until blended, usually 1 minute.
- If it’s too thick (or sometimes beady), add in milk 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until your consistency is correct.
- Test your consistency. Lift your mixer, watch the icing drizzle to the bowl. Once drizzled, the icing should hold it’s shape for a count of 10 seconds. If the pour disappears before the 10 seconds are up, add some additional sugar to your mix 1 teaspoon at a time, testing between each addition, until the icing holds form for 10 seconds.
- Once icing is the correct consistency, scoop it into a zip lock bag. push it down into one corner, and twist the top of the bag off at the top edge of your icing.
- Clip the icing corner of the bag, and away you go. Decorate and have fun!
- Icing will take 6+ hours to fully cure/harden. Leave cookies laying flat until icing has hardened to the touch. Once the icing is fully cured, store in an airtight container to keep fresh.
Remember to test your consistency before you start bagging your icing up for piping! Your icing should hold it’s drizzle (see above image) for 10 seconds before disappearing.
I hope you find this recipe super helpful! Let me know how it works for you in the comments, I love your feedback!