RECIPE :: Half Cake Day
Yesterday was a half cake day. What’s a half cake day you ask? Well, let me tell you. It’s a day where everything is spinning out of control and you JUST. NEED. IT. ALL. TO. SLOW. DOWN.
So. You make a cake. The process of scooping, mixing, baking, cooling, flipping, more cooling, whipping, frosting, and all of the waiting in between has a very therapeutic effect. I’m forced to slow down, let go of the lesser important things and focus on myself, and the eager little hands around me.
The links in the post are a part of the Amazon Affiliates Program. This means I get a small percentage back from Amazon from any potential purchase. Thank you for your support, and for reading my blog! For more info, please visit my disclosure policies here.
For the perfect half cake, just halve the above recipe from this vintage Gold Medal Flour children’s cookbook. It’s one of our faves, and was a gift from my awesome mom! Our go to chocolate chip cookie recipe is from here too!
Get your own copy of the Alpha-Bakery cookbook from Gold Medal here!
:: Chocolate Half Cake Recipe ::
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cold water
- Heat oven to 350℉. Grease 2 small pans ( we used 1 qt. Pyrex glass dishes); dust with flour.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix oil, vinegar and vanilla. Stir oil mixture and water into flour mixture real hard until well blended, about 1 minute. Immediately pour batter into pans, dividing evenly.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 minutes; let cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; let cake cool completely. Fill and frost cake. Enjoy!
Love the idea of “Half-Cake Day!” Glad you like the frosting 🙂
Thank YOU for this awesome recipe!!! It’s our go to peanut butter frosting! SO GOOD!